The Shea Theater Arts Center (STAC) is Franklin County's performing arts civic center, working with both regional artists and professional touring companies. The Shea Theater offers a variety music, movement, dance, and theater that spans the art form.
The theater was established in 1927 by Denis Shea as a state of the art movie theater and showed five cent matinees and serial movies throughout the 1930's and 40's. The stage was also home to amateur theater groups including the American Legion Auxiliary, the Rotary Club, Turners Falls High School and occasionally vaudeville. The venue continued under various owners until 1956 but then went dark, except for a short time between 1963-64. The Renaissance Community, a commune that flourished in Turners Falls and neighboring hill towns, bought the Shea Theater in 1973 to use it as a recording studio and church. In 1986 The Renaissance Community sold The Shea Theater to the Franklin County Community Development Corporation, who then sold it to the Town of Montague. A dedicated group of local citizens raised over $200,000 to renovate the theater and The Shea Theater re-opened its doors in 1990. In 2015 the Shea Theater again changed hands.